Monday, August 15, 2011

"By small and simple things...."

It's funny some of the things our memory can bring out. Sometimes it's odd what we remember. As I look back I can of course remember the main events in my life (baptism, graduation, college, mission etc.) but I find even more joy when I can remember those little snippets of memory that just come to you seemingly at random. Something just triggers them and then it all floods back in.


It's sweet.


It's nice remembering the exact feeling of pulling a bow across the string of an upright bass and listening to the sound reverberate through the house. Or the feelings you had when your friend just stops by to see you when he returned from a long time away. I am thoroughly convinced that it truly is those small moments in time that matter.


It brings to mind on of my favorite scriptures. It's in the Book of Mormon in the book of Alma the prophet. It says in chapter 37 verse 6: "Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise. " 


We are building all these little actions, all these memories....really, all that we are. We are heading somewhere but I challenge you to examine where that is. If it is not in a positive direction, if it is not toward Jesus Christ and his Gospel, there is no anchor to our life. I can testify that Jesus is key. As we strive to be like Him and improve ourselves we can find joy in those small and simple things as we progress toward true happiness. And that is exactly where Jesus Christ and His Gospel will take you.

No comments:

Post a Comment